Why do amalgam dental fillings have side effects?
Amalgam dental fillings, often called “silver” dental fillings, have side effects primarily because they contain mercury. Mercury is the most toxic or poisonous, non radioactive substance on earth. It is more toxic than lead, cadmium, or arsenic. To find a substance more toxic than mercury, you have to go to radioactive plutonium!
How does mercury act as a poison?
Mercury is a scientifically proven neurologic poison, which means that it poisons all nerve tissue, including the brain. The brains of children are more sensitive to the toxic effects of mercury than the brains of adults. Very low dose exposure to mercury for a long time may reveal itself as Alzheimer’s disease in adults. Alzheimer’s disease mimics chronic mercury poisoning.
Mercury is a scientifically proven enzyme poison, which means that it inhibits or prevents enzymes from working. Enzymes are essential for life as we know it. When enzymes can’t function, we become tired or sick. Chronic fatigue may be a sign of long term, low dose exposure to mercury.
Mercury poisons women in a unique way. Mercury is a proven female reproductive poison. Miscarriages or difficulty becoming pregnant may be a consequence of chronic mercury poisoning. When pregnancies are harmed, the creation of families is hindered and marriages suffer. Without reproduction, the human race would perish.
If you are a woman who is pregnant, or intends to have children, please talk to a holistic doctor about the best timing for chelation treatments and removing any mercury dental fillings. You can find holistic doctors by going to the websites of the International College of Integrative Medicine (ICIM) or the American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM).
Why is mercury used in dental fillings if it is so toxic?
Mercury helps make the dental filling material pliable. There is more mercury in silver amalgam dental fillings than any other metal. These fillings are actually half mercury! When the liquid mercury (also called elemental mercury) is mixed with the alloy powder of silver, tin copper and zinc, it creates a compound that is soft enough to mix and press into the tooth. It also hardens quickly and can withstand the forces of biting and chewing. It even sets hard in teeth when some moisture from saliva is present. Children and young adults have lots of saliva, so mercury dental fillings are relatively durable and easy to use in them. The American Dental Association says that this is a good reason to continue using mercury containing dental filling in children. What do you think?
How long have dentists been using filings with mercury?
Mercury containing dental fillings have been used in the United States since 1833, one hundred and seventy five years ago, when the Crawcour brothers, two Frenchmen, introduced amalgam dental fillings in New York City. The Crawcour brothers avoided bringing attention to the mercury in their fillings, instead calling them “mineral succedaneum” or “royal mineral succedaneum”, because the public associated these names with gold.
The basic dental filling composition of about fifty percent liquid mercury metal combined by the dentist with an alloy powder mixture of silver, tin and copper, and small amounts of zinc has not changed much since then. Neither has the fact that, until very recently, most dentists, following the lead of the Crawcour brothers, still avoided mentioning the mercury in the fillings!
Why are dental fillings with mercury still called silver fillings by dentists?
The word amalgam refers to the mixture of any metal with liquid mercury. It is a chemistry term. In chemistry terminology, the substance present in the greatest amount in a mixture should be the first word to describe it. Mercury always makes up half of the filling material. There is always much more mercury than silver. So, to be correct, silver dental fillings should be called mercury dental fillings. Yet, most dentists have always called these fillings either silver fillings, or amalgams. Do you think dentists call these fillings “silver fillings”, because silver, like gold, is perceived as more valuable than any of the other metals in the fillings? Do you think that calling these fillings “silver fillings’’ is truthful or deceitful?
Why have most dentists rarely mentioned to their patients that these same “silver fillings” contain significant amounts of mercury? Why have most dentists never told parents that they were putting mercury containing fillings in their children’s teeth? Would your parents have let a dentist put mercury in your teeth if they had known it was in the filling material? Would you have let the dentist put mercury in your children’s teeth, or in your own mouth, if you had known? Do you think that dentists have been misleading you by misrepresenting the name of these fillings? Do you think they do this because it sounds better calling them “silver fillings”, than calling them “mercury fillings”? Why have all the dental schools and all the dental boards allowed this to happen for years. You decide the answers to these questions.
Is amalgam toxicity the same thing as amalgam side effects?
In almost all cases, the answer is yes. The side effects of amalgam and the toxicity of amalgam are primarily caused by the presence of large amounts of mercury in the fillings. Approximately eighty percent of the invisible mercury vapor coming off the surface of the fillings penetrates the skin (called mucosa) in your mouth and enters your body. Everyone is poisoned by mercury, no matter how small the exposure.
There is sufficient scientific evidence to support this statement, that it can be said with certainty. Some people are more sensitive to mercury than others, because of differences in the biologic make-up of the proteins in their bodies. It’s just a matter of time – of being exposed to mercury long enough for everyone to eventually develop symptoms from the mercury. In spite of all this, the American Dental Association insists to this day that the exposure to mercury in dental fillings is too small to be of any consequence. Do you think the American Dental Association is protecting you and your children, or does it appear that they are more interested in protecting themselves and dentists?
What are some of the side effects of amalgam dental fillings?
Generally speaking, the side effects of amalgam poisoning mirror the toxic affects of mercury on human organ systems. Since mercury is primarily a reproductive, neurologic, and enzymatic poison, we would expect women to experience difficulties with pregnancies, both men and women to succumb to disorders that are associated with brain and nerve dysfunction, and virtually all so called “chronic” diseases to be on the increase. Historically, that is exactly what has been happening.
Following are some of the diseases and disorders of mercury or amalgam poisoning symptoms listed on the websites of Dental Amalgam Mercury Solutions (DAMS) and the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT).
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Learning disabilities
- Development of antibiotic resistance
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Lou Gehrig’s disease
- Chronic Fatigue syndrome
- Irregular heartbeat and tachycardia
- Memory loss
- Oral Lichen Planus
- Allergies and auto immune reactions
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Depression and mood disorders
- Periodontal (gum) Disease
- Endocrine/Hormonal dysfunction
- Dry eyes and other eye conditions
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Migraine headaches
- Birth defects
Do the other metals in metal dental fillings cause side effects?
In addition to containing toxic mercury, amalgam fillings contain silver, tin copper and small amounts of zinc. Copper can have toxic side effects. Some people can have allergic reactions to the metals, including mercury. The combination mixture of all the metals in the filling material can also create electric currents when bathed in saliva.
Electric currents occur because the fillings behave just like a battery. They corrode and release metals into the saliva. These can be tasted by some people, or the electric currents can be felt as an electric shock when touched by a spoon or fork. This common side effect has been known for so long that it has been given the name oral galvanism. For more information about oral galvanism, read the Metallic Taste in Mouth page on this website.. Putting metals in your teeth is not a very good idea.